Monday, February 27, 2012

Teenagers and Mothers

Yeah, I have teenagers. You know the kind with the bitter stares and tongue glaring kind of teens. This motherhood business is not the kind of profession that is as easy as say the 24 hour Walmart cashier or stocker - or yet to make things a little trivial it's not like this daytime sub teach gig I have. Motherhood is a profession left to the powers of magicians, wizards, you know the kind of peeps that hang out at Hogwarts, or hang with David Blane, or get cast into some early episode of a "Charmed" episode with Prue and Phoebe.

I feel I have run out of patience to keep this cheery - good day to you - kind of attitude, when the smiles throughout the house have been tainted and tattooed with ugly frowns. Teenagers do that you know. When I was growing into the mother I am today I couldn't wait to see these tiny pattering feet fit into my shoes, or even outgrow me. I always praised myself or my imagination because I pictured myself to be the kind of mother with the cool music (well that's a given) , not so much a friend, but a mother who raises kids who don't roll their eyes when talked to,  kids who don't need discipline because they are perfect. HA. There is no such thing, if you do have a child like that please keep your smirks and gloating pride to yourself. I raise kids who talk back, (who at any given moment will say whatever is one their mind - if the descriptives include cuss words so be it), I raise kids who defend the person they are (who at any given moment will shout out what they have done behind my back), I raise kids who willingly get into the shouting match ring with me ( words will fly because we don't agree eye to eye, neither of us win, but we respect what the other wants and needs) - The list could go on and on.

 I've just realized
 I am raising kids who clearly are like me -
Strong - Independent - and Outspoken.  

I believe I earned a wizard cloak, the right to elevate with David Blane, and I'll skip hanging with Shannen Doherty this time around.